Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are lots of potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as harmful as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Atmostemp Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Voorhees to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Atmostemp Service Experts in Voorhees at 856-310-4824 to learn more.