According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is among the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Voorhees homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?
- No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can call Atmostemp Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance each year to ascertain no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the start of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its useful life, you may want to consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a brand new energy efficient furnace.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.