How to Protect Your Home in Extreme Cold
It’s frigid out there. Most of the country is layering up for some icy temperatures. And while the Experts are always ready to help, we’ve got a few HVAC and plumbing tips to help you avoid those cold weather emergencies.
- Disconnect those exterior water connections.
- Insulate all exposed pipes and outdoor fixtures.
- A slow drip in indoor sinks and bathrooms by exterior walls can stop pipes from freezing.
- Open up those cabinets underneath sinks to keep warm air flowing around pipes.
- Keep an indoor temperature of at least 68 degrees (and warmer if possible).
- Get those indoor heaters ready by testing them for proper operation.
- If you’ve got vents shut in unused rooms, now is the time to open them.
- If your furnace is not operational, contact the Experts for heating repairs or consider a new furnace install.
- Last but not least, give each of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors a quick test.
Follow these simple tips to keep your HVAC and plumbing warm and working. Then pour yourself some hot chocolate. And, as always, Atmostemp is here for you. If you’ve got questions, concerns or problems, don’t hesitate to call.