Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your residence, being comfy in your new area regardless of outdoor temperatures is a priority. However, they can make a unique challenge for heating and cooling. This is because adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most cost-effective possibilities is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Find out more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition might be a good option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, as they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your addition cozier. In fact, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for added rebates and decrease your energy bills for years to come.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Because each room typically has a dedicated indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is especially beneficial if you have a area with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than adding ductwork and leaning on your current heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the exact cost will depend on your home, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system might become stressed. When your existing heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your house prior to the addition. This may stress your system and make it wear down more rapidly.
- Your comfort might be impacted. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort could suffer if your system has to cover a bigger location. Your heating and cooling might be less effective, and your utility costs might skyrocket as a result of the system needing to operate more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like more common systems, mini-splits are offered in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Atmostemp Service Experts, we’ll help you select the proper size for your new area. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or greater when properly serviced. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Atmostemp Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you select the right model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Atmostemp Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 856-310-4824 today to request a free consultation and estimate.