When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Atmostemp Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Atmostemp Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Voorhees, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Voorhees or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 856-310-4824 or schedule an appointment with Atmostemp Service Experts through our online scheduler.