When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Atmostemp Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Atmostemp Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Voorhees, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Voorhees or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Atmostemp Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.