Benefits of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature drops and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more and more, you should also reach for your phone to set up annual furnace maintenance. Being sure that your furnace is at its best this winter boosts your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s more about what this crucial annual task includes and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Is Included in Annual Furnace Maintenance?
A maintenance call is a surefire way to get your heating system ready for the cold months. Although the exact tasks depend on the design and age of your system, you can usually expect your technician to do the following:
- Examine and clean the burner: Over time, dirt and debris can clog the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it restores ideal heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Ensuring these valves are totally open and working effectively is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Check the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can lead to carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s essential to make sure no cracks are present.
- Review and tighten electrical components: Loose connections can make your system hazardous and inefficient. Thankfully, tightening them is a fast and easy job.
- Clean the blower: A dirty blower affects your furnace’s ability to circulate warm air through your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan makes certain that your home has optimal airflow.
- Replace the air filter: Clean air filters allow proper airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a dirty air filter in your furnace. Installing a clean, new air filter also increases indoor air quality if you install an efficient enough filtration system.
Reasons to Schedule Routine Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace appears to be running fine, is it still useful to arrange a maintenance visit? Here is why that’s the case:
- Reduce mid-season malfunctions: There are few more disheartening ways to start the day than waking up on a freezing winter morning to discover your furnace has stopped working. Unexpected breakdowns are upsetting and can leave you scrambling to find someone to fix it. Annual furnace maintenance decreases the chance of unexpected problems because your service tech inspects every part of your system, catching minor issues before they escalate into costly repairs.
- Reduced repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the earlier you catch a problem, the less expensive it is to fix. By investing in reasonably priced, planned maintenance visits, you can avoid expensive, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Lengthen your furnace’s life expectancy: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives regular tune-ups will probably last longer than an ignored heating system. Annual maintenance saves you the expense of early furnace replacement by lengthening your system’s life span.
- Raise energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system works a lot more efficiently. When all the parts are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your residence comfortable. This reduces your power bills and lessens your environmental impact.
- Better indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air intensifies allergies and respiratory issues. The air filter in your furnace traps dust, pollen and other airborne irritants to reduce these conditions. During a maintenance tune-up, the technician will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air flows through your home.
- Promotes safety: A furnace that needs repair is not only inefficient, it also could be dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or broken gas valves can produce hazardous carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has been examined for anything that could be dangerous should give you a secure feeling this winter.
What Time of Year Should You Set up Your Maintenance Visit?
To enjoy the most benefits, it’s best to arrange annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill gets to your area. This is a way to make sure any issues are resolved before you begin relying heavily on your heating system.
At-Home Furnace Maintenance Between Appointments
Although professional maintenance is important, you can do several tasks yourself to keep your furnace running smoothly between visits:
- Switch out the air filter every 30 to 90 days to maximize airflow.
- Make sure all of your return and supply registers are open and unblocked for system balance.
- Vacuum the exterior of the furnace with the brush attachment to make sure it stays clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in the U.S.
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance visit, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is a heating and cooling team you can trust. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting solutions to all your comfort dilemmas. We’re proud to deliver solutions to our community and strive to make a big difference in your everyday life and sense of comfort. We even give our customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee to put your mind at ease. To get the most out of your heating system, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly comfortable in any season or climate. Yet, while centralized systems are a handy way to regulate the temperature, they in some cases fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or... Continue reading
Eight Common Heating Misconceptions Debunked
There are lots of myths out there about home heating that create confusion and inefficient furnace use. It’s time to clear up these common misconceptions. Here, the heating professionals at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing reveal the truth behind the eight most common myths... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with easy and effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe. Learn... Continue reading