One of the most basic issues that we come acress at Atmostemp Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Voorhees is filthy air filters. They may seem like a very small piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a host of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you could encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the greatest headache you’ll notice when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes unattended for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off all the time. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any likely damage that may come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters available, give Atmostemp Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 856-310-4824 or schedule an appointment online.